Adult Lessons are available in progressive group, private, semi-private and private small group formats for the 2021/22 winter season.
Progressive group lessons not the right timing or format for you? Please contact Tarah to book private lessons or for more information.
Private lessons are available on Mondays only in 1 hour (1 person) or 1.5 hour (2 person or group) time slots beginning at 9:30am and ending at 2:30pm.
5 Week Classic Beginner Group Lessons (January 4 – February 1)
This group is for skiers that are comfortable on classic skis, but would like to improve their technique in varying terrain to gain skill and confidence. We will begin by improving balance and coordination on skis and progress to proper poling, flat, uphill, downhill and cornering technique skills.
What: 5 weeks of progressive classic technique instruction
When: Tuesday mornings (9:30am-10:30am) beginning January 4th
Contact: Coach Tarah for booking or more info
5 Week Skate Beginner Group Lessons (January 4 – February 1)
If you have been on skate skis before but find yourself using the same technique for uphills and flats, this is the group for you. We will begin by improving balance and coordination on skis and progress to proper poling, flat, uphill, downhill and cornering technique skills.
What: 5 weeks of progressive skate technique instruction
When: Tuesday mornings (11am-12pm) beginning January 4th
Contact: Coach Tarah for booking or more info
Masters Training Group with Drop-In Option (January 5 – February 23)
This group is for skiers that are looking to fine tune their skate and/or classic techniques to improve speed and efficiency on all types of terrain. The lessons will be mostly technique focused in the staging area, but we will also be skiing to different terrain on the trails to practice specific skills from time to time. A headlamp and an adventurous spirit required!
This year a drop-in option has been added to accommodate those that may have inconsistent availability or feel they only need instruction on certain techniques. Please note that the sessions are designed for progressing through the techniques as specific skills are acquired. If you choose the drop-in option, you may miss out on important aspects of the skate or classic techniques. If we fill the group sessions with regulars, the option to drop-in will not be available.
Skate Ski Sessions
- January 5 – Free skate
- January 12 – One skate
- January 19 – Offset
- January 26 – Two skate (only recommended for drop-in if you are already proficient at one skate)
Classic Ski Sessions
- February 2 – Diagonal stride
- February 9 – Double pole
- February 16 – Uphill diagonal stride
- February 23 – Downhill control and cornering (*classic or skate)
What: 8 weeks of skate and/or classic technique instruction
When: Wednesday evenings (6pm-7:30pm) beginning January 5
Cost: 8 weeks – $240, 4 weeks (skate or classic) – $120, Drop-in – $40 per session
All lessons will take place at the Elk Valley Nordic Centre. Meet in the staging area outside the Warming Hut.
- You will need to sign the online waiver (LINK) to confirm that you have read and understood the FNS COVID-19 protocols BEFORE you have your lesson. A proof of vaccination is not required.
- Payment for your lesson must be made BEFORE your lesson starts.
- Please come prepared for all types of weather (cold, wet, snowy, windy, sunny, etc) as your comfort is your responsibility and we will not have access to the hut to warm up cold toes. Lessons may be rescheduled in the event of extreme weather.
- Please make sure you have the right equipment properly sized for your weight/ability. We do not have rentals. Contact Tarah for questions about equipment and rentals BEFORE your lesson.
- Please ensure that you have a day pass or club membership at the time of your lesson. Day passes are available online HERE.
Make your online payment
Once your lesson has been confirmed, you will be requested to make an online payment:
Option 1: send an e-transfer to email@example.com
Option 2: pay by credit card using the Payment button below
CANSI Level 2
|Emily de Freitas|
CANSI Level 1
|Tarah Leggott is a CANSI Level 2 instructor that is passionate about cross country skiing as a lifelong, family-oriented sport that can be pursued competitively or as recreation in our beautiful, little corner of BC.||Emily has been cross country skiing for over 20 years. She grew up as a competitive racer for Foothills Nordic in Calgary. She has coached in adult and youth programs in both Calgary and Whistler. I’m looking forward to connecting with the Fernie ski community and helping you reach your nordic goals!|